Oct 22, 2017 by Tracy Kelley
As November begins, autumn is in full swing, and there are a lot of things to do concerning fall, harvest festivals, and more in Lakeland. Every caregiver with Comfort Keepers will tell you that seniors who go out and engage with others in the community on a regular basis are happier and healthier than those seniors who do not. Our caregivers take our senior clients out in the community to reap these benefits. You can do the same with your senior loved one, at these events below.
The weather is really starting to cool down in Central Florida, making it the perfect time to be out and about in Lakeland with your senior loved one. Further details for these events can be found at the Lakeland Chamber of Commerce’s website.
- 8th Annual A-C-T Chili Cook Off. Friday, November 3, 2017, 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM,
8th Annual A-C-T Chili Cook Off for Chili Cooks & Chili Lovers! ALL proceeds (that’s every penny collected) goes to United Way. For more info, call: (863) 533-2000 x603.
- Harvest Holler Corn Maze. November 3-5 and 10-12, 2017. Friday: 4 pm - 8 pm, Saturday: Noon - 8 pm, Sunday: Noon - 5 pm, 950 Tavares Rd, Polk City, FL 33686.
Harvest Holler Corn Maze is family entertainment on a working family farm.
- Art+Music. Friday, November 3, 2017, 5:30 - 8:30 pm, Polk Museum of Art at Florida Southern College, Lakeland, FL.
Join us for an experiential tour through the galleries of the Polk Museum of Art this November for our fall fundraising event! Featuring unique, live musical experiences curated by Lkld Live and insightful commentary on our current exhibitions, Art +Music 2017 will truly inspire. Light hors d'oeuvres. Beer and wine cash bar. Members - $10/ Non-Members - $15 Featured exhibitions: Faces in the Crowd - American Figure Art Jason Myers' STATUS: fluid/dynamic Bound Ascension: The Sculpture of Gino Miles Featured Musicians: THOTH PATTY KENOLY JASON BAKER CONNOR LOCKHART PAUL CATALA and more!
- Jazz Ensemble Concert. Friday, November 3, 2017, 7:30 pm, Bush Chapel, Southeastern University, 1000 Longfellow Blvd, Lakeland, FL 33801.
Join us for an evening of exciting big band music featuring the classic sounds of the giants of jazz history performed by the students of Southeastern University. Adults $5, Students $3.
- Bandtastic VI: Band Day Encore. Friday, November 3, 2017 at 7:30 p.m., Branscomb Auditorium
Florida Southern College, Lakeland, FL.
Now in its sixth year, this annual concert ranges from classical and jazz genres to popular and rock favorites. Adults $8, students $4.
- Downtown Farmers Curb Market. November 4,11, 18, 25. 2017, 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM, 200 N Kentucky Avenue, Lakeland, FL 33801.
The Downtown Farmers Curb Market is a key component of a vibrant, diverse and exciting Downtown. It is designed to serve and bring together all segments of our community. It is a positive force in bringing people Downtown to purchase fresh produce, plants and local handcrafted items. The 11-month Market (closed in August) is a showcase for the talents and the work of local artisans and local growers. The Downtown Farmers Curb Market is a project of the Lakeland Downtown Development Authority (LDDA).
- Art Crawl 2017. Saturday, November 4, 2017, 9 am - 4 pm, Munn Park, Lakeland, FL.
“Local Artists, Music & Food” 50 ARTISTS, 16 ART ORGANIZATIONS, LIVE MUSIC & MORE! Art Crawl is a FREE festival featuring 50 local artists from over 20 different cities in Central Florida selling artwork and competing for prizes alongside live music, live art demonstrations and featured local organizations and sponsors that proactively support the arts. Join us for this one-day art festival serving as a catalyst to celebrate the emergence of new and innovative artists in and around Central Florida! This 5th annual juried art festival is an accessible venue for art collection, entertainment and FUN! Artwork featured will be accessible for all budgets. Start your collection here!
- Chair Yoga. November 6, 13, 20, 27, 2017, 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM, Hollis Cancer Center, 3525 Lakeland Hills Blvd, Lakeland, FL 33805.
Chair Yoga from 3 pm to 4 pm every Monday, taught by Joyce Hasenzahl. This yoga session is a slower-paced class, focused on relaxation. Participants should wear comfortable clothing and shoes (no shorts or tank tops). Free, but RSVPs requested. Karen Rose, karen.rose@myLRH.org or 863.904.1912.
- Knit One, Crochet Too! November 6, 13, 20, 27, 2017, 6:30 PM - 8:00 PM, Lakeland Public Library, Training Room, 100 Lake Morton Dr., Lakeland, FL 33801.
Join us every Monday at 6:30 pm for Knit One, Crochet Too! in the Training Room at the Lakeland Public Library. Registration is not required, and the club is open to all levels of experience. Free - Questions? Contact Lisa Kolesar at (863) 834-4278 or Amber McKinnon by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- String Orchestra Concert, November 6, 2017, 7:30 PM - 8:30 PM, First Presbyterian Church
175 Lake Hollingsworth Dr., Lakeland, FL 33801.
The string scholars of Southeastern University tune up to present an exquisite array of melodic works. Adults $5, Students $3.
- Fancy Dances: Faculty Brass Quintet, November 6, 2017, 7:30 PM - 9:00 PM, Anne MacGregor Jenkins Recital Hall, Florida Southern College, Lakeland, FL.
Members of the Florida Southern College Faculty Brass Quintet explore the many variants of dance forms, from the Baroque to Modern. Free.
- Point of View Gallery Talk: Gino Miles. Friday, November 10, 2017, noon - 1 p.m., Polk Museum of Art, 800 E. Palmetto St., Lakeland, FL 33801.
Join us for Point of View Gallery talks every second Friday of the month at noon. Artist Gino Miles will discuss "Bound Ascension: The Sculpture of Gino Miles" for the November Point of View Gallery Talk. Working in both monumental and small dimensions since the 1970s, sculptor Gino Miles (b. 1952) is inspired primarily by 20th Century European masters such as Moore, Brancusi, Archipenko, and Marini. Gino distills his love of the classical figure and objects found in nature, working with a sparse and contemporary language that embodies tranquility. Stripped of an overt narrative, Miles’ abstract forms achieve a poetic harmony of man and nature, with subtle references to both the human form and ancient cultures. Space is limited. Please RSVP.
- Wind Ensemble Concert. Friday, November 10, 2017, 7:30 pm, Bush Chapel, Southeastern University,1000 Longfellow Blvd, Lakeland, FL 33801.
An expressive repertoire of time-honored and modern wind literature shared with you from the stage by the students of Southeastern University. Adults $5, Students $3.
- Veterans Day Parade. November 11, 2017, Downtown Lakeland, FL.
The Polk County Veterans Council will host the annual Veterans Day Parade through Lakeland. Parade Steps Off at 11AM at the Lakeland Center. ***We Want to Fill The Streets in Downtown***
- Veteran's Barbecue Under the Big Top. Saturday, November 11 & Sunday, November 12, 2017, 9 am to 5 pm. International Market World Flea and Farmers Market, 1052 US 92 West, Auburndale, FL 33823.
Polk County is home to over 54,000 veterans. We invite all area veterans and active military personnel to join us for two big days of live entertainment and a free barbecue feast prepared under the big top. We can’t say thank you enough for your service. Free admission to the public.
- Choral Concert: Celebrating God’s Creation. Monday, November 13, 2017,7:30 pm, First Presbyterian Church, 175 Lake Hollingsworth Dr., Lakeland, FL 33801.
The magnificent singers of Southeastern University convene for an awe-inspiring performance of lyrical fashion. Adults $5, Students $3.
- Docent-Led Tour. Saturday, Nov. 18, 2017, 11 a.m. – noon, Polk Museum of Art, 800 E. Palmetto St., Lakeland, FL 33801.
Free for everyone. Pre-registration is suggested. Space is limited. Join us each month to get a fresh look into the Museum's main exhibition through connecting conversations with one of our passionate docents. Learn the stories behind the work and talk "art" with ease as we bring people and art together.
Photo courtesy of Master Sgt. Sonny Cohrs.